Wednesday 22 April 2015

Wednesday April 22, 2015

Read Jeremiah 1:6-10

Have you ever felt like God wanted you to do something but were too afraid to do it? Have you ever been paralysed by fear or had a  series of questions, “What if” questions run through your head.? What if I look silly? What if I get it wrong? What if it’s not God? What if I stuff up? What if they don’t respond positively? What if I get hurt? What if….

 I’ve been there many times and have wrestled with the choice between obedience and disobedience many times. One time I walked past an older, obviously ethnic lady and as I passed her the Lord clearly said to me something like, ‘Tell her about Jesus!’ A thousand what if’s flashed into my mind. What if she can’t speak English? What if she hits me with her walking stick? What if she starts screaming for help at the top of her lungs? What if she… As I wrestled with obedience and disobedience for maybe a dozen or more so steps, I finally came to the conclusion that obedience is the best policy. As I turned around, I saw that she had disappeared and was no where to be found. One only wonders what great things the Lord would have done if I chose to walk immediately in the path of obedience rather than walking a dozen more paces in disobedience.

Jeremiah, like you and I, also wrestled with obedience. But the Lord encouraged him. Jeremiah was young when the Lord first called him. While we don’t know his exact age, we do know that he was young enough to be concerned about public speaking and the speaking role of a prophet. He declares his ineptitude to God by declaring that he is only a child and cannot speak properly. But God answers in the most encouraging way.
Jeremiah 1:7–10 (NIV84)
But the Lord said to me, “Do not say, ‘I am only a child.’ You must go to everyone I send you to and say whatever I command you.
8 Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you and will rescue you,” declares the Lord.
9 Then the Lord reached out his hand and touched my mouth and said to me, “Now, I have put my words in your mouth.
10 See, today I appoint you over nations and kingdoms to uproot and tear down, to destroy and overthrow, to build and to plant.”

Verse  8 is the key. God assures Jeremiah that He is and will be with him and will equip him to speak to both Judah and the nations! God assures Jeremiah that he will be rescued from the people as he faithfully declares God’s Word to them.

Similarly, God is with us in the things that He wants us to do. God calls us and equips us for the work ahead. You and I have nothing to fear, nothing to be anxious about because God has prepared in advance good works for you and I
to be doing. Even more so Jesus Himself assures us at the end of the Great Commission. Jesus says, ‘And surely I am with you to the very end of the ages”.

Prayer Points:
Using today’s Bible passage and reading notes spend time in adoration, confession, thanks and supplication.

Adoration:


Confession:


Thanks:


Supplication:
· Pray that God’s equipping would be evident and powerful with every believer in the church since He’s created good works in advance for each one of us to be doing.
· Pray that we would see more and more believers having their spiritual gift or gifts revealed to them so that they can partake meaningfully in the body of Christ and contribute to the glorifying of our Lord and Saviour.
 Discussion Questions For Families and Groups

1. How can we be assured that God will equip us for the work He’s called us to?
2. Jeremiah 1;8 parallels Matthew 10:28 in may ways. Why should a modern believer NOT be afraid of mankind’s threats and reactions to the gospel work we are called to do?
3. What causes us to be afraid?
4. What can we do to help remove our fears?


No comments:

Post a Comment