Saturday 31 December 2011

Saturday 31 December 2011

Read Romans 7:15-25

 

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. –Philippians 4:13

 

A young boy was at the barber’s for a haircut.  The room was filled with cigar smoke.  The lad pinched his nose and exclaimed, “Who’s been smoking in here!”  the barber sheepishly confessed. “I have.”  the boy responded, “Don’t you know it’s not good for you?” “I know,” the barber replied.  “I’ve tried to quit a thousand times but I just can’t.”  The boy commented, “I understand.  I’ve tried to stop sucking my thumb, but I can’t quit either!”

 

These two remind me of the way believers sometimes feel about their struggle with sins of the flesh.  Paul summed it up well by crying out, “O wretched man that I am!  Who will deliver me from this body of death?” (Romans 7:24).  His spiritual battle might have left him in despair if he had not found the solution.  Following his agonising question, he declared with triumph, “I thank God—through Jesus Christ our Lord!” (v 25).

 

Are you struggling to break some stubborn habit?  Like Paul, you can overcome.  If you know the Lord Jesus as your Saviour, victory is possible through the power of the indwelling Holy Spirit.  Confidently affirm with Paul, “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me” (Philippians 4:13) You can do it! -Richard De Haan

I have tried and I have struggled

From my sin to be set free;

Not by trying but through trusting,

Jesus gives me victory. –Complin

 

Think less of the power of things over you and more of the power of Christ in you.

 

Prayer:

 

¨ That Patrick and his family will find a safe haven and experience God's comfort and peace.

 

¨ Pray that al-Shabaab's attacks on Christians will cease and that their leaders will come to know Jesus' love and forgiveness.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment