Wednesday 12 January 2011

WEDNESDAY JANUARY 12, 2010

Read  James 1:22-27

Common Questions

What does it mean to treat someone like a tax collector?

When Jesus spoke this teaching tax collectors and prostitutes etc were shunned and avoided. They were not kept as close friends or confidants. When someone refuses to repent in the church we need to make some distance between them and ourselves so that they are encouraged to repent. They should not remain our deepest friends and confidants while refusing to repent.

What if I confront my brother and he changes but only for a short time?

Jesus again made this situation clear. He knows that we are human and he catered for our needs.  When Jesus had finished the teaching on reconciliation Peter asked Him:-

"Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother when he sins against me? Up to seven times?" Jesus answered, "I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times.’

Since Christianity is a team sport we need to run together and help each other  over the long haul. Change takes time in people. We need to be gracious and generous towards those who sin against us and help them as much as we        possibly can.

In Luke 17:1-5 Jesus taught a similar thing. The Apostles realised how difficult this would be and immediately said to Jesus ‘Lord, increase our faith’. Being patient and sticking by someone is hard, often heart breaking, work. But Jesus tells us to stick with it.

If I know that I have sinned against someone, what do I do if that other person won’t come to see me?

In Matthew 5:23-24 Jesus said these word:-

"Therefore, if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother has something against you, leave your gift there in front of the altar. First go and be reconciled to your brother; then come and offer your gift.

This command is addressed to the person who knows that there is an issue with another party whether they are at fault or not. It is their responsibility to seek reconciliation.

How do I approach someone who has sinned against me?

We need to approach the other person with an attitude of love and a desire to be reconciled. Our goal should be to win them back into an honest and open relationship.

Spend much time praying before you go to the other person and pray along the lines of Psalm 139:23-24:-

Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts.

See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.

Prayer:-

  • Pray that you would have opportunities to share the love of Christ and to talk about His forgiveness with non believers today. Pray that God would use you to bring others into His kingdom.

  • Pray that the church in India would continue to grow and expand despite pressure and persecution . Pray that all believers would be exceedingly willing to share their faith at every opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment