Friday 23 September 2011

Friday 23 September 2011

Read Leviticus 10:8-11; 1 Corinthians 2:13-16

Dirty Laundry

Distinguish between holy and unholy, and between unclean and clean.

-Leviticus 10:10



Whenever my husband and I leave the house, our dog Maggie goes sniffing for old shoes and dirty laundry. She surrounds herself with what she finds and then sleeps with it near her nose. The familiar smells comfort her until we return.



Of course Maggie doesn’t realise she’s following a levitical command to “distinguish between … unclean and clean” (Leviticus 10:10) Nor does she know she’s violating it.



In a world still swirling in sin long after its catastrophic collision with evil, God commanded His followers to live holy lives (Leviticus 11:45). Distinguishing between clean and unclean is essential to that task.



Such discernment requires more than finely tuned physical senses. The apostle Paul wrote that the “natural man” - that is, a human being in his sinful state—”does not receive the things of the Spirit of God … ; they are spiritually discerned” (1 Corinthians 2:14). It is the Holy Spirit who provides this wisdom (v.13).



Just as Maggie finds comfort in old shoes and socks, many people seek comfort in dirty old sins. We must be mindful that our comfort and consolation come from God, who loves us and who establishes us in “every good word and work” (2 Thessalonians 2:16-17). -Julie Ackerman Link



Search me, O God, and know my heart today;

Try me, O Saviour, know my thoughts, I pray;

See if there be some wicked way in me;

Cleanse me from every sin and set me free. -Orr



There is no true happiness apart from holiness, and no holiness apart from Christ.



Prayer:

V Just one month after the South voted for independence from the predominantly Islamic North, pressures on churches and Christians have increased, with Muslim groups threatening to destroy churches, kill Christians and purge the country of Christianity.

No comments:

Post a Comment