Thursday 28 March 2013

Thursday, March 28 2013

Read: Psalm 22:1-18, Matthew 27:32-50

“My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?”

These haunting opening words of David’s Psalm and the terrible final words of Jesus prior to His death on the cross reveal to us the full, horrible anguish of Jesus on the cross. Jesus’ suffering was not only physical but also spiritual. In that moment Jesus bears the full weight of our sin on the cross and the Holy and Righteous God of the universe turns His face away from His own son.

 

Take a moment to consider the full depth of that suffering. Jesus is not only betrayed by his friends, mocked by his enemies and beaten by his creation. He is separated from His father and left truly alone before God’s righteous wrath. Spend some time this morning praising God for what He has done. Use today’s readings and the following words of the song, How Deep The Father’s Love For Us by Stuart Townend to praise God for His work on your behalf.

 

How deep the Father's love for us,
How vast beyond all measure
That He should give His only Son
To make a wretch His treasure

How great the pain of searing loss,
The Father turns His face away
As wounds which mar the chosen One,
Bring many sons to glory

Behold the Man upon a cross,
My sin upon His shoulders
Ashamed I hear my mocking voice,
Call out among the scoffers
It was my sin that left Him there
Until it was accomplished
His dying breath has brought me life
I know that it is finished

I will not boast in anything
No gifts, no power, no wisdom
But I will boast in Jesus Christ
His death and resurrection

Why should I gain from His reward?
I cannot give an answer
But this I know with all my heart
His wounds have paid my ransom

 

Prayer:

Write down your prayer points in the space provided. Use today’s reading to help you get ideas.

 

Adoration:

 

Confession:

 

Thanks:

 

Supplication:

¥ Pray for all the Christian’s around the world who will be celebrating the death and resurrection of Jesus this weekend. Pray especially for those who are not free to celebrate Jesus publicly but are persecuted and suffer for their faith. Pray that God would give them courage and boldness to share about Christ with others.

¥ Pray for safety and God’s protection over all those who will be travelling to Toowoomba this weekend for Easterfest. Pray that God would keep them safe as they travel and that they would grow in the faith and passion for Jesus as a result of their time at Easterfest.

 

My Additional Prayer Points.

1/.

 

2/.

Jesus Challenge:

All around each of us there are many, many people who don’t know Jesus or what He has done on their behalf.

As a cell consider what you could do to demonstrate the love of Jesus to some of these people and to share about what Christ has done for them. Maybe you would like to have a social event and invite non-Christians to join you. Maybe you would like to mow someone’s lawn or tidy their house. Make a plan together and carry it out this week.

 

Discussion Questions For Families and Groups

1. Was it Jesus’ physical suffering on the cross which paid the price for our sins? Why or why not?

2. What role did Jesus’ physical sufferings play in His work for us on the cross?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment