Thursday 21 February 2013

Thursday February 21, 2013

Read Matthew 5:23-26.

 

There are two types of conflict resolution talked about in the Bible. One is for the victim and the other is for the aggressor.  We often think, by default because that’s often all that’s preached and taught in our churches, about  conflict resolution from the victim’s perspective. If someone sins against you, go and show him his fault. You probably know the rest, don’t you? But what about conflict resolution from the aggressor’s point of view? What does the Bible teach? What should we do if we find ourselves in the aggressor’s shoes?

 

Often we think something like, ‘If so and so has a problem with me then he

needs to come and see me!!!’ or ‘If so and so won’t come and tell me about it, then I don’t have to do anything’.  Rest assured! Both of these approaches are sinful and displeasing to God.

 

Jesus’ teaches us what to do if we should find ourselves in the aggressive position, having wronged someone or sinned against them. If we are offering our gift at the altar (which in church times could be the ‘offering’) and realise that our brother has something against us, then we are to take action. Hear clearly what Jesus is saying. If I know that my brother has something against me, if I know that I have wronged him, if I know that there is an issue then I am to take action. I am to approach my brother and seek reconciliation. This is not the Matthew 18 approach because if my brother has something against me then more than likely I am the aggressor, the one who has sinned or wronged another. I am to go to my brother and humbly seek his forgiveness and endeavour to make restitution.

 

In verse 24, Jesus intimates that an offering given when relationships are spoiled or strained is worthless. It’s far better to be reconciled than to pretend to joyously offer God a gift when our hearts are stained by strained relationships.  But why does a relationship affect our offering? 1 John 4:20 sheds much light.

If anyone says, "I love God," yet hates his brother, he is a liar. For anyone who does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot love God, whom he has not seen.

 

This Sonday when you are giving your tithe to the Lord, think about anyone you may have sinned against. Before you give your tithe to the Lord, go and be reconciled and then come back and offer your tithe to God. What a great smile will grow on the Lord’s face as we walk in obedience.

 

 

Prayer:

Write down your prayer points in the space provided. Use today’s reading to help you get ideas.

Adoration:

 

 

Confession:

 

 

Thanks:

 

 

Supplication:

¥ Pray that God would bring great blessing to the two other Presbyterian churches in Toowoomba as they are both currently without an active minister. Pray that God would bring wisdom and insight to the elders in each congregation and that individuals and groups would be raised up as needed to keep the various ministries and outreaches going.

¥ Pray that God would bless your own congregation with a depth of love and commitment that speaks volumes to a lost and dying world. Pray that many would come to Christ as their personal Lord and Saviour through this love and commitment.

 

Discussion Questions For Families and Groups

1. Why is conflict resolution necessary in God’s Church?

2. Why is conflict resolution so difficult?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment